Laboratory diagnosis of Streptococcus pyogenes

 Laboratory diagnosis of Streptococcus pyogenes

1. Specimens

  • Throat swab
  • Pus
  • Cerebrospinal fluid
  • Blood
  • Serum for antibody determinant

2. Smear

  • Gram staining
  • Purple color cocci in chain arrangement
  • Not to be confused with Viridans Streptococci from throat swab sample since both have same appreance


Culture

  • Culture on blood agar
  • Addition of bacitracin in inoculum: S pyogenes are sensitive to bacitracin
  • Colonial appearance: Grayish white, transparent to translucent, matte or glossy; smooth; flat;large zone of beta hemolysis
  • Catalase negative, oxidase negative and PYR positive

4. Antigen detection tests

  • Enzyme immunoassay (EIA)
  • Agglutination test
  • Kits uses enzymatic or chemical method to extract antigen from throat swab and demonstrate the presence of antigen using EIA or agglutination test (visible clumping)
  • More sensitive assays are DNA probes and Nucleic acid amplification techniques

5. Serologic tests

  • Detection of antibody titer after 3 to 4 weeks after exposure to organism
  • Antibodies include ASO, anti-DNase B, anti- hyaluronidase, antistreptokinase, anti- M type specific antibodies
  • Anti Streptolysin O (ASO) is most widely used.

Treatment of Streptococcus pyogenes

  • S pyogenes are susceptible to penicillin (benzylpenicillin (penicillin G) or oral phenoxymethylpenicillin (penicillinV)
  • For penicillin allergic patients, erythromycin is a drug of choice
  • In some cases clindamycin or vancomycin is also recommended

Prevention and control of Streptococcus pyogenes

  • Maintenance of personal hygiene
  • Chemoprophylaxis: prophylactic use of antibiotics in some streptococcal infections: rheumatic fever,

Laboratory diagnosis of Streptococcus pyogenes

Tags:
Control, Laboratory diagnosis, Laboratory diagnosis of Streptococcus pyogenes, Prevention, Prevention and control of Streptococcus pyogenes, Streptococcus, Streptococcus pyogenes, Treatment, Treatment of Streptococcus pyogenes

Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. I just want to share this here,
    I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with all kinds of disease or need herbal medicine for illness , Here is his contact information [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Web: www.drituaherbalcenter.com.
    Thank you once again blog admin.

    ReplyDelete
Emoji
(y)
:)
:(
hihi
:-)
:D
=D
:-d
;(
;-(
@-)
:P
:o
:>)
(o)
:p
(p)
:-s
(m)
8-)
:-t
:-b
b-(
:-#
=p~
x-)
(k)